There are many things that drive professionals and serious home-cooks to use cast iron:
Why use cast iron pans and skillets?
- Many people think non-stick surfaces like Teflon and chemically treated materials like copper and aluminum are toxic or at least dangerous to health.
- They are great heat conductors which make them ideal for cooking without sticking.
- It is a great way to reduce the amount of oil you use.
- You can carry them from stove to oven directly, just be careful with your hands, they are really super-hot and it takes a longer time to cool down, but this is also a plus, it is a great way to keep your food warm until the service.
- It makes any food taste great.